Last updated September 13th, 2022
Club Wyndham is one the largest timeshare / vacation club companies in the world. The company owns and operates around 230 resorts around the world under the following brands:
- Margaritaville Vacation Club
Wyndham also owns RCI, the largest timeshare exchange company in the world.
There are a variety of reasons why you may want to get out of Wyndham timeshare. Perhaps your vacation habits have changed and you no longer travel as much as you used to. Or, maybe you’re simply displeased with the Wyndham Vacation Ownership product. The following are a few of the top complaints:
- Points expire annually if they go unused.
- Maintenance fees increase regularly.
- Can be more expensive to use Wyndham Points than to book a vacation through another, non-Wyndham non-timeshare company.
- Limited availability for timeshare owners at many destinations, but space at the same destination is available for non-Wyndham timeshare owners in the same time period.
You’re not alone with these complaints either as a simple Google search for “Wyndham timeshare complaints” on Google returns several negative reviews on various websites:
- 838 Complaints on the BBB as of 5/26/2021 and an aggregate 1 out of 5-star rating.
- Aggregate 1 out of 5-star rating by Consumer Affairs out of 117 consumer reviews as of 5/26/2021.
- Aggregate 1 out of 5-star rating by Yelp out of 178 consumer reviews as of 5/26/2021.
Luckily, if you’d like to exit Wyndham timeshare, you have options.
Certified Exit – backed by Wyndham™
Unlike many other timeshare companies, Wyndham offers some of its owners an exit option directly through its Certified Exit – backed by Wyndham™ program. This relatively new program replaces the previous “deed back” program called Ovation by Wyndham.
These programs were designed to help you get rid of Wyndham timeshare safely, quickly and cheaply. According to Wyndham, the company has helped owners successfully exit from more than 85,000 contracts over the last five years.
You May Not Qualify for the Program
Although these programs are advertised as the best way to get out of Wyndham timeshare, the fact of the matter is, not all owners will be able to take advantage of them to completely rid themselves of their timeshare and all associated debts and fees.
For example, if you owe a mortgage on the timeshare, it will likely be extremely difficult to sell your timeshare through one of Wyndham’s featured resellers until the loan is paid off. Why would someone want to buy a timeshare with a loan on it if you can buy the same timeshare on eBay for less than $1,000 without a loan?
If you opened up a new credit card outside of Wyndham when purchasing the timeshare, you likely won’t be able to cancel that debt when attempting to deed back your timeshare to Wyndham. That debt is now held with a completely separate 3rd party.
Getting out of any debt you have directly with Wyndham instead of paying the debt off may also be difficult if you’re not facing a personal tragedy of some sort. This is where timeshare exit attorneys may be able to help you cancel Wyndham timeshare if you feel were lied to or deceived during the timeshare presentation. These lawyers specialize in holding timeshare developers accountable for statements made while the timeshare was being sold.
How To Find a Reputable Timeshare Exit Company
Our website was created to help timeshare owners find a reputable timeshare exit company that may be able to help them resolve their timeshare issue. Our #1 recommendation when shopping for a timeshare exit company is to work with one that offers an escrow payment option. When you pay a timeshare exit company with an escrow payment option, the timeshare exit company isn’t paid in full until after the timeshare issue has been resolved. Learn more about escrow payment options and why they’re important here.
Some other things you may want to consider when choosing a timeshare exit company include:
- A rated with the BBB with few complaints
- Several years in business
- A physical office address rather than a PO box
- A professional looking website
- A written contract for any services rendered
View the top timeshare exit companies here.
Wyndham will likely advise you to never work with any timeshare exit company because Wyndham has no interest in getting into legal battles over its sales practices. The timeshare developer has been involved in several class action lawsuits for its sales practices in the past. Take a look at a few of them below:
Wyndham Class Action Lawsuits
Typically, you won’t need to do anything to receive compensation from one of the class action lawsuits. If the courts deem you eligible to receive compensation from the lawsuit, you should receive a check in the mail.
If you’d like to do more research on each class action lawsuit, have a look at the following:
Carolyn Nolen, et al. v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts Inc., et al., Case No. 6:20-cv-00330-PGB-EJK, in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
David DuBose, et al. v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts Inc., Case No. 1:20-cv-01118-UNA, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
Deneen, et al. v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts Inc., Case No. 1:19-cv-05499, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
David J. Kriens Sr., et al. v. Wyndham Destinations Inc., et al., Case No. 6:19-cv-01650-RBD-EJK, in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida at Orlando.
Selling Wyndham Timeshare on the Resale Market
Selling your Wyndham timeshare on the resale market may be an option if you do not owe a mortgage. We typically like to recommend the following low-cost resale platforms when selling Wyndham timeshare:
- Craigslist (free)
- Ebay ($50)
- Myresortnetwork.com ($34.95)
- tug2.com ($15/year membership)
- Redweek.com ($59.99 – $125)
If you’re able to find a buyer on one of these platforms yourself you can save on the costs associated with hiring a timeshare resale broker. You’ll need to figure out how to transfer the timeshare to the new buyer all by yourself though, which can be dauting for those new to selling timeshare.
For a hassle-free selling experience, you may want to use the services of a timeshare resale broker instead. A broker will find a buyer for you, but will likely take around 50% of the final sales price as a commission. Wyndham works with several featured timeshare brokers that would likely be a good option. These brokers will likely be recommended to you if you choose to reach out to Wyndham directly through its Certified Exit program.
Common Timeshare Resale Scams
Always watch out for companies that want to charge you a high up-front fee before selling your timeshare. Usually, these scams will say they will “advertise” your timeshare on their website until a buyer is found. The problem with these scams is that your timeshare will be thrown on a website that doesn’t get any website traffic and is grouped up with thousands of other owners who still haven’t found a buyer for their timeshares.
A licensed timeshare broker or one of the websites shown above will almost always be your best option when attempting to sell a timeshare. Make sure to check the timeshare broker’s license with the state before engaging with a timeshare broker’s services.
How To Get Out of a Wyndham Timeshare Presentation
If you’ve ever visited a popular vacation destination such as Orlando, Las Vegas or Branson you’ve likely come across a timeshare salesperson at one point or another. Timeshare salespeople will typically try and lure vacationers into taking a 2-hour timeshare tour in exchange for free show tickets, gift cards or other free gifts. Although the gifts can be enticing, it’s usually not a good idea to go on the tour unless you actually plan to buy because timeshare salespeople are some of the best salespeople in the world.
If you think you can handle saying “no” and want the free gifts though, there are a few things you can do to get out of a Wyndham timeshare presentation quickly and without owning a timeshare.
- Don’t ask questions. The more questions you ask, the slower the presentation will go.
- Don’t treat the salesperson as your friend. The salesperson is not your friend. The salesperson is attempting to sell you a ‘product’ for several thousand dollars that you could easily buy online on eBay or Craigslist for $1.
- Set an alarm on your phone. If the presentation was advertised as being two hours, set an alarm on your phone to go off after two hours. Show the timer to the salesperson and let them know they’ve run out of time.
- Don’t divulge personal information about yourself. The more information you give the salesperson to work with, the more info they’ll have to use against you.
- Don’t drink alcohol. This usually leads to poor decisions you wouldn’t make when you’re sober.
- Practice being mean. This is the hardest part for many who attend a timeshare presentation. We grow up learning to be nice, so we’ve been trained not to interrupt and not be rude to those around us. Just remember that the salesperson is not your friend. The salesperson is your enemy. You don’t need to be nice to your enemies.
In summary, it’s much easier to get out of a WorldMark, Wyndham or Shell timeshare in 2021 than it used to be. Prior to 2016 many timeshare developers did not have any sort of “deed back” program available to owners looking to exit Wyndham timeshare. Now, most of the larger timeshare developers do.
The common trend among most timeshare developers is that they’re unwilling to take the timeshare back until the mortgage is completely paid off. If you find yourself in a situation with a high mortgage and you’d still like to get out, you may want to speak with a recommended timeshare exit company instead.
Still have questions? Give us a call at 833-416-8796, submit a contact form on the right side of the page or start a live chat.