Hacienda del Mar Resort is a resort in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, with its own timeshare program. It is owned by RCI, the biggest timeshare/vacation rental company in the world.
While many people enjoy the location of the Hacienda del Mar resort property, there are several others who have significant problems with it, are not satisfied with their timeshares, or otherwise have reasons for wanting to get out of their memberships. If you’re one of those people, perhaps it’s the case that you don’t use your timeshare nearly as much as you expected to, or have trouble booking a stay at all.
When we looked into complaints about Hacienda del Mar’s timeshare program, some of the recurring ones we found included:
- Bait-and-switch practices
- Misleading contracts and hidden fees
- False promises, especially in terms of the resort’s offerings
- High-pressure sales presentations and tactics
When we looked further into these complaints, we found several negative reviews and ratings of Hacienda del Mar, particularly through TripAdvisor and Redweek. Additionally, we found that their corporate office — located in Los Angeles, CA — is not accredited with the BBB.
Some of those negative reviews and more noteworthy complaints are below.
- “My wife and I are writing to report that we believe that were intentionally misled (swindled actually) by the sales staff at the Hacienda del Mar resort in Cabo San Lucas. We signed a contract last August for a one bedroom timeshare with the understanding that we had purchased an every-year program. However, when we returned this past January to stay at the Hacienda del Mar resort for the first time under the contract that we had signed, we were astounded when we heard the sales person say when reviewing our contract with us that we had actually purchased an every-other-year program. Also, when we expressed our disbelief when the Hacienda del Mar sales staff said that we only owned a every-other-year program, instead of the sales staff sitting down with us addressing our concerns immediately, they said come back after hours and we were quickly ushered out of the meeting, as if trying to hide their practices from other potential clients, or to get rid of us because we weren’t going to purchase anything.”
- “We were sold an additional unit (jr. suite) under the pretext [sic] that that was the only way we would have access to the new resort they are developing on another site. (We have learned this is not true.) … We had to sign over the suite to a rental company for 3 years, pay additional funds to the rental company, and not have access to the jr. suite for 3 years. Needless to say, we never received a dime from the rental company and they would not respond to our attempts to contact them. We didn’t want/need the unit in that we already own a large unit and purchased it only so that we would have access to the new property. We are now ‘stuck’ with the annual maintenance fee. We have never used the unit. We have asked the sales department to ‘dissolve’ our contract in that is was purchased under false information as well as fraud with regards to the rental company. We don’t want a refund of our purchase price; we just want to have to stop paying an annual maintenance fee. … We have been brushed aside with delaying tactics and further untruths. We write this to warn other guests that many of the things you are told at sales presentations are absolutely not true. “
Needless to say, these reviews indicate some seriously questionable practices from Hacienda del Mar. You should know that if you’ve been dealing with a similar situation, there are ways to get rid of Hacienda del Mar timeshare.
Hacienda del Mar Official Exit Program
Some resorts like Hacienda del Mar have their own timeshare exit program. While we did not find information about anything of this nature on their website, they do have a specific membership/vacation ownership section that could allow for a more direct line to someone who could address this matter. If you visit the Hacienda del Mar resort website, and navigate (via the side navigation bar) to “Vacation Ownership,” you’ll reach the membership portal. From there, you can easily find a customer care email address.
Of course, that said, many of the reviews indicated that this method did not produce results, and in fact exacerbated timeshare owners’ problems. Still, exhausting this route can at least make you aware of what you need to do next in terms of other options. When it comes time to cancel Hacienda del Mar timeshare, you can also consider working with a timeshare exit company to help you out.
Avoiding Timeshare and Timeshare Exit Scams
Unfortunately, many of these complaints reflect practices that border on — and in some cases are outright — fraudulent. This is not uncommon when it comes to timeshare programs, though, and Hacienda del Mar is just one of many with scamlike activity.
In the future, it’s a good idea to keep these kinds of red flags in mind to avoid being scammed by a company like this one, or even by a timeshare exit company. On this website, we are careful to research each company we review, and only feature those that are trustworthy, because there are plenty of fraudulent timeshare exit operations. Many timeshare exit companies promise timeshare owners that they’ll cancel their timeshare with a money-back guarantee, but never deliver on their promises and keep the money that they were paid.
To avoid future scams, make sure you heed the following tips:
- Resist pressure to act fast or pay for a service right away. A reputable company will never pressure you into working with them before you are ready. High-pressure sales tactics and hounding potential clients are major warning signs, and point to a business you want to avoid.
- Ask about licensing, insurance, and identification with all local businesses. It’s generally a good idea to work with a local business, but to get even more clear about which of those are trustworthy, it’s also a good call to ask about their licenses and insurance. Checking IDs is something you should definitely do with any business that will be dealing with your money and personal information.
- Check the fine print and don’t believe everything you read. Many fraudulent companies rely upon using common industry phrases, but only use them in a shallow way, and do not have information to back up their exaggerated claims. A responsible company will provide you with details on their services and not come across as outlandish in doing so.
Watch out for high upfront payments and nontraditional payment methods. Requests to pay via wire transfers or prepaid money cards are common red flags, but so are requests for upfront fees that do not use escrow, as well as agreements that do not have legitimate contracts. There is no money-back guarantee or amount of lip service that is enough to promise that you’ll get a refund if a service doesn’t work as promised.
Cancel Hacienda del Mar Timeshare with an Exit Company
Remember, you do have several options to get out of Hacienda del Mar timeshare — resale and hiring a broker are just a few to start with. Depending upon your situation, especially if you don’t have a mortgage, you might consider moving forward with a timeshare exit company. You should note that a timeshare exit company will not typically try to sell your timeshare. Instead, they’ll work directly with the timeshare developer or resort in question to get them to take your timeshare back and cancel any remaining fees.
Working with a timeshare exit company to get rid of Hacienda del Mar timeshare is something you should do only with a legitimate company. We typically recommend timeshare exit companies that exclusively use escrow for payment, so you don’t have to invest in upfront fees and risk another negative experience. You can learn more about why escrow is important on this page. And you can explore some of the companies that we recommend on this page.
While it can be a challenge to cancel Hacienda del Mar timeshare, it’s certainly not impossible. Getting in touch with a solid timeshare exit company can help you get started on releasing yourself from your contract and start getting your life back.
If you still have questions about timeshare exit in general or any of our recommended companies, please feel free to get in touch. You can contact us using the contact form on the right side of the page, initiate the live chat, or give us a call at 949-519-1416.