Reef Playacar Resort & Spa is part of a larger company called The Reef Resorts, whose three locations are in Mexico. Reef Playacar Resort & Spa is in Playacar, Playa del Carmen, and like many similar resorts, has its own timeshare program. This program is called the Leading Vacation Club.
Maybe you are one of the many people that purchased a timeshare with Reef Playacar Resort & Spa and are now seeking to get out of it. Maybe it’s because of the resort itself not being what you pictured, or because of the sales tactics that were used to get you to buy. Whatever your reason for seeking to cancel Reef Playacar Resort & Spa timeshare, you are definitely not alone.
When we researched Reef Playacar Resort & Spa online, we found several negative reviews and complaints, including an aggregate 2.5 stars on Yelp, several 1- and 2-star TripAdvisor reviews, and some glaringly low ratings on Orbitz and Travelocity as well. Reef Playacar Resort & Spa does not have a BBB page, nor does the Leading Vacation Club. Guests and timeshare buyers cited poorly maintained properties, high-pressure sales tactics, false promises, unexpected fees, and shoddy customer service as their reasons for their complaints.
The following are a few of the most noteworthy reviews that we found online.
- “They give you wristband [sic] to wear the entire time you’re staying there! Not as classy as it looks. We didn’t like the wristbands because when we went into town, we were targeted as tourists. We took the wristbands off the next morning after breakfast and went to the hotel’s beach for about an hour before our taxi to the airport arrived. When entering back onto the hotel property, the security treated us like criminals who were trespassing. We were not informed that we needed to have our wristbands on the entire time. The security was very rude and disrespectful. Also the way the resort is presented online does not reflect the way it looks in person. We will never stay here again.”
- “I love Mexico and the people are very kind but this resort i will never come back to, first of all they need to get their head out their ass and take care of their customers instead of preasuring [sic] their customers to purchase a timeshare. … Beware of false advertisements my friends.”
- “I am so glad that my nightmare is over. After months of fighting with the Reef Club my credit card provider was finally able to retrieve my money. I was also lured in by Jerry from Georgia and a hippy-like 40something old Gary also from the east coast who kept ensuring us that we will be making money each year and have access to all these great travel discounts on hotels and flights. He actually never referred to this as a timeshare and kept feeding us lies. Sadly, my hubby and I have never experienced anything like this and we were lured in. I felt somewhat embarrassed by the whole thing now and utterly disgusted by this resort and the people. Do not support them! Dont stay here. They prey on people and then ignore you completely once you begin asking questions. If only I had access to the internet while we were there then google would have informed me of this scam. Well it was a learning experience. Be aware people. If you get sucked into buying the diamond traveler club membership, take quick steps to contact your credit card, the resort to cancel in writing, PROFECO-the mexican better business bureau.”
Ultimately, it appears that the timeshare program and the resort alike leave much to be desired. They operate on what seems to be a fairly fraudulent basis and we do have to evaluate them as such since we did not find evidence to the contrary.
Reef Playacar Resort & Spa Timeshare Exit Program
To access a more direct route in trying to get rid of Reef Playacar Resort & Spa timeshare, you can go to the Reef Playacar website and navigate to their footer, where the link to Leading Vacation Club can be found (“LVC Access”). On this landing page, all you need to do is go to the Contact page to find where, “if you are looking to buy, sell, or rent a vacation ownership, or want more information on your options,” you can get in touch.
We would encourage you to note, however, that many people also posted warnings about their buyback program on Timeshare Marketplace. If you search for “timeshare marketplace Reef Playacar” on Google, you’ll find complaints about their timeshare exit program. Even this program, set up in tandem with Royal Diamond Resorts and Resort Marketing Solutions, is a scam — one that cheated several people out of their money.
With this in mind, you should know that the best of your other options is working with a reputable timeshare exit company, one that works directly with the resort but is not actually a part of it.
Avoiding Timeshare Scams
Sadly, Reef Playacar Resort & Spa is not unique in its practices. Timeshare scams are incredibly common. But the good news is that they are also entirely avoidable. As with any other kind of business, there are several red flags you can look out for in the early phases to avoid getting involved any deeper. That way you can save yourself a serious amount of time and money.
Keep an eye out for the following to avoid timeshare scams:
- Promises that sound too good to be true, including incentives for making an initial purchase that don’t seem to have strings attached (because, in all likelihood, they do)
- Upfront fees, including high deposits or “administrative” fees that are far more than you’d expect them to be
- Pushy sales presentations, especially those that don’t encourage you to take your time in making a decision or offer gifts and alcohol to influence your decision-making
Whenever you make any purchase, and especially any major one like a vacation property, always be sure to read the fine print, take it slow, and know what you want — not what someone else convinces you that you want.
Choosing a Timeshare Exit Company to Get Out of Reef Playacar Resort & Spa Timeshare
While the same red flags with timeshares can apply to timeshare exit companies, there are also several exit companies out there who use honest business practices. A reputable timeshare exit company will, first and foremost, not expect upfront payments, and instead will use escrow. This means, in essence, that they do not get paid until your contract is canceled and you’re satisfied with their work. You can learn more about why escrow is important here.
Some of the other signs of a legitimate timeshare exit company to look out for include the following:
- A strong rating with the BBB and few (if any) complaints
- Having been in business for several years
- A physical office address, as opposed to a PO box
- A professional-looking website
- Use of written contracts for services
Again, while they are not the norm, there are many companies like this that exist. You can explore our list of recommended companies to look into which one could be right for your situation.
When you’re ready to get out of Reef Playacar Resort & Spa timeshare, we’d love to help you find the right timeshare exit company. This website was created to give people like you more options when it comes to getting out of a vacation property that hasn’t been what it initially seemed at best, and at worst has turned out to be a complete scam. As a reminder, you can have a look at our recommended timeshare exit companies on this page.
And if you have any other questions about timeshare cancellation in general, feel free to get in touch. You can call us at 949-229-7748, submit the contact form on the right side of this page, or initiate the live chat to get started.