Cabo Villas Beach Resort, or Cabo Villas, is a resort and spa located in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. They have been actively in business for five years.
Cabo Villas, like many similar resorts, has its own timeshare program. Unfortunately, according to many past members of this program, it takes away from the positive qualities of the resort itself. If you are trying to cancel Cabo Villas timeshare, perhaps it’s for similar reasons to what these people have posted in online reviews. Some of the most common reasons people wanted to get rid of their Cabo Villas timeshares included the following:
- High-pressure sales tactics during presentations
- False promises
- Changes to initial program, making it bait-and-switch for early buyers
- Failure to give refunds in light of the above complaints
Most of these complaints were easy to find among the many online review pages for Cabo Villas. They have an F rating and no accreditation with the BBB, 2.5 stars on Yelp, and 2 stars on ComplaintsBoard. Among the posts on these pages were some of the following comments:
- “I have been scammed by Cabo Villas, the salesperson told me that cabo villas would buy my timeshare back at anytime or I could cancel it if I wanted with no penalty needless to say it was a lie. I contacted adam from the resort´s contract department requesting his assistance, to my disappointment he assured me that cabo villas do not buy timeshares or cancel them, I insisted that I was told a different version but Adam stated that he will do what is written in the contract nothing more. I´m looking for a lawyer who is willing to take the case and do whatever is needed to cancel it.”
- “The actual hotel itself is GORGEOUS. However, we got roped into a 90min sales pitch trying to sell us on their membership package that they claim “isn’t a timeshare” … After explaining that we were not looking to purchase a vacation home, MULTIPLE TIMES, I got irate and pointed out that the 90min had turned into 2 hours and we just wanted to enjoy our other activities for the day. [The presenter’s] response was, “they wouldn’t have allowed you to tour if you had other time commitments”, which to me says that they will keep you there until you regretfully say “yes” to their $10000 down payment.”
- “We have had a timeshare there for 10 years and … enjoy staying there, however, looking back on it I think we would reconsider our decision to buy there. Over the past several years we have seen the resort change the program they use to make reservations several times. While I believe strongly that every consumer is responsible for being aware of the risks of what they are purchasing it is hard to do that when it is a new product the resort is offering and there is little one can do to figure out if it will be a wise decision to buy. Instead, we relied on the promise of the timeshare sales people and resort management when they told us that the program they were switching to for booking (Diamond Resorts) was the program they would be using going forward and it would not change. Well a couple years later they are no longer using the points system of Diamond Resorts and the money spent on being part of Diamond Resorts was pretty much a complete waste. I don’t believe this was the first time or will be the last time that Cabo Villas comes up with a scam like that. So I’m putting this posting out there to help other consumers be able to make a more informed decision than we did and decline any timeshare offer that the sales people make.”
Fortunately, if you have bought into Cabo Villas’s timeshare program and are seeking an exit as well, you do have options.
Cabo Villas Official Exit Program
Cabo Villas Resort’s website has a Member section, where you can learn more about their timeshare program and go through their FAQs. They address cancellations in the FAQs, and note that “to cancel ANY reservation, you must notify our reservations department,” either via phone or email. They also say that “all cancellations must be submitted 30 days prior to the check in date, otherwise the reservation will continue to be valid and the maintenance fee will be applied to the reservation.”
Of course, that said, many of the negative reviews of this timeshare program noted that this cancellation policy did not hold up when they contacted the reservations department. It will most likely take a bit more work to get out of Cabo Villas timeshare. Your best options in a situation like this will probably be resale, working with a licensed broker, or working with a timeshare exit company.
Putting a Cabo Villas Timeshare on the Resale Market
Selling your Cabo Villas timeshare on the resale market is one option you might pursue. Generally, this is only possible if you do not owe a mortgage. Our recommendations are the following low-cost resale platforms for anyone looking to get rid of Cabo Villas timeshare:
- Craigslist (free)
- Ebay ($50)
- Myresortnetwork.com ($34.95)
- tug2.com ($15/year membership)
- Redweek.com ($59.99 – $125)
Finding a buyer on one of these platforms can save you the costs involved in hiring a timeshare resale broker, as you’ll go through the process on your own. However, that means you will have to figure out how to transfer the timeshare to the buyer on your own as well. This can be a challenge.
If you use a licensed timeshare broker instead, it can be an easier and less stressful road to get rid of Cabo Villas timeshare, because they will do the work of finding a buyer for you. However, they will most likely take around 50% of the final sales price as commission.
Working with a Timeshare Exit Company
While hiring a timeshare exit company may be a more expensive route, it can also be a more complete solution for you. Good timeshare exit companies will work directly with the resort to release you from your contract and cancel any remaining fees you have hanging over your head.
You should know that we only recommend timeshare exit companies that have a track record of success in getting people out of timeshares, and that use escrow for payment. Escrow is important because it means that the company doesn’t get paid until the timeshare is no longer yours. You can learn more about why escrow is important on this page.
We created this website to help people like you leave stifling timeshare situations and start fresh. You should be sure to check out our list of recommended companies, as reputable timeshare exit companies are hard to come by, as the industry is just as full of fraudulent activity as the timeshare industry itself. But the companies we back have all been carefully reviewed, and are great options for when you need help to get through your situation.
If you have any other questions about canceling a timeshare, please feel free to contact us. You can give us a call at 949-229-7748, submit the contact form on the right side of the page, or initiate the live chat to get started.