Capital Resorts, now known as Capital Vacations after an acquisition and rebrand, is a major timeshare company that owns over 60 resorts and properties around the world. Most of their properties are in the U.S., and centered in Florida and South Carolina. They are one of the largest resort managers and developers in the U.S., headquartered in Myrtle Beach, SC, and are owned by National Hospitality Group.
National Hospitality Group owns three separate resort brands: Capital Vacations (Capital Resorts Group), Defender Resorts, and SPM Resorts.
There can be many reasons why you would want to get out of Capital Resorts timeshare. Maybe you simply don’t use your timeshare nearly as much as you thought you would. Or, you could have realized Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations isn’t quite what it originally appeared to be, in terms of both cost and quality.
In that case, you would not be alone. Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations has several complaints of this nature that we found while searching online, including:
- Properties that did not look like the photographs
- Rentals that were neither properly cleaned nor maintained
- Additional fees on top of the initial rental cost that had not been previously discussed
- Poor or unresponsive customer service
- Properties being constantly booked
- Unredeemable points
These complaints were consistent across several review sites, including the Better Business Bureau, ComplaintsBoard, and Yelp. Their many low ratings and complaints included:
- With the BBB, an average of 115 reviews and an aggregate 1.45 out of 5 star rating
- 515 complaints closed in last 3 years, and 282 complaints closed in last 12 months
- 54 complaints on ComplaintsBoard, most of which remain unresolved, leading to an overall 2 out of 5-star rating
- Several 1-star reviews on Yelp
The following are just a few of the many notable complaints that we discovered.
- “I wouldn’t even give it one star! I tried for 3 years to get vacations planned! I’m sorry ma’am we are book solid. Really!? For three years at every resort? … My children even tried at various times throughout the years, but nothing. They suggested to make the appointments three years in advance.”
- “[The company] just bought Calypso Cay Vacation Villas in Orlando/Kissimmee. … They never sent me anything in the mail or email to let me know they cancelled my RCI member account and set up a new one. I learned this when I attempted to book a trip in June and it no longer worked. Then after multiple holds, being hung up they sent me to RCI for my new account number. RCI bounced me back to them and another long hold. Finally after 4 1/2 hrs. I got my new account number. Called RCI and set it up online, only to find out I have 0 points and 0 future points! I should have about 180, 000 points. We had stock piled points for 2 years … No one can find my points, travel history, nothing.”
From the BBB:
- “I was just pushed into this as well. Paid for 2 rooms, which smelled terrible, and had bugs, bugs that bit ankles and arms of those who checked cushions and mattresses. The pool was under construction so the kiddos were super disappointed. The agent said she never heard of sandy shores 3, that she didn’t believe it was a capital property, though that’s where I received email confirmation from. They have me 250 on a gift card, they said it was for entertainment while on our trip, but I wanted my 700 back for the room that was supposed to be 200, plus vouchers for a cruise if I attend their sham… I am trying to back out of this immediately”
Fortunately, if you’re also looking to cancel Capital Resorts timeshare, you do have options.
Capital Vacations Exit Programs
With some resorts, you may be able to give your timeshare back to the resort or company. You can contact Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations customer service in order to see if this is an option for you. We found that they seem to have a partnership with Responsible Exit to help with this. If you look up “capital resorts exit program” on Google, this is one of the first results you’ll find.
That said, Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations does not appear to have an official exit program on their website, as far as we could tell. At one point, Capital Resorts might have had a deedback program that would allow unsatisfied customers to get out of Capital Resorts timeshare. On the timeshare message board TUG BBS, we found a few comments that said as much.
However, this program is now missing from their website. With that same Google search for “capital resorts exit program,” you can find a link on the first page of results that looks like it goes to a landing page for that kind of program. Its preview text warns against using third-party companies. But clicking it only redirects you to the Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations home page.
Capital Resorts Class Action Lawsuits
The likely reason that Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations warns against getting involved with timeshare exit companies is because they want to avoid legal battles regarding its practices. Thus far they have been involved in a handful of class action lawsuits over the past few years.
It was easy to find information on the Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations class action lawsuits. You can research the following lawsuits on your own:
- Bowen v. Capital Vacations, LLC (Case No. 3:19-cv-00382) – District Court, M.D. Florida
- Kenneth K. Altom, Jr., et al. v. Capital Resorts Group, LLC et al. – No. E2019-00739-COA-R3-CV – Appeal from the Chancery Court for Knox County No. 196568-1
- Brenda Gibbs v. Capital Resorts Group, LLC, et al. – E2019-00295-COA-R3-CV – Appeal from the Chancery Court for Sevier County No. 18-10-262
If you’re eligible to receive compensation from any of these cases, there is generally nothing you need to do on your part. In that situation, you can expect to receive a check in the mail accordingly.
Capital Resorts Timeshare Resale
You might be able to sell your Capital Resorts timeshare on the market if you do not owe them mortgage payments. Generally, we recommend the following low-cost resale platforms when it comes to selling timeshare:
- Craigslist (free)
- Ebay ($50)
- Myresortnetwork.com ($34.95)
- tug2.com ($15/year membership)
- Redweek.com ($59.99 – $125)
Finding a buyer through one of these platforms can mean saving on the costs associated with hiring a timeshare resale broker. You would just need to figure out how to transfer the timeshare to the new buyer on your own. This can be a daunting task if you are new to selling timeshares.
For an easier experience, there are a few other routes you can take. One would be working with a timeshare resale broker. Brokers do the work of finding a buyer for you, which is a plus, but on the other hand, they typically take about 50% of the final sales price as commission. While this is normal, the value of your timeshare property might make this option not truly worth your time.
Finding a Reputable Timeshare Exit Company
Considering how tricky it can be to get out of a timeshare with Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations, it’s worth looking into what timeshare exit companies can offer you instead. We created this website with the goal of helping timeshare owners like you find legitimate help in resolving issues with timeshares.
Our priority in reviewing timeshare exit companies is finding those who are reliable and reputable, and especially those that offer an escrow payment option. Paying through escrow means that the timeshare exit company does not get paid in full until after you have successfully cancelled your timeshare. You can learn more about why escrow payments are important on this page.
While doing so through the company itself does not seem to be as feasible as it could be, it is still possible to cancel Capital Resorts timeshare. If you’re unsuccessful working directly with Capital Resorts/Capital Vacations, or if you still have mortgage payments due on your timeshare, be sure to explore our recommended timeshare exit companies.
If you have further questions or want to ask about one of these companies, please feel free to get in touch. You can give us a call at 949-229-7748, fill out the contact form on the right side of this page, or initiate the live chat to get started.